Wednesday, October 16, 2024

Wednesday Hodgepodge


Good morning everyone!

This morning I thought it would be fun to participate in the Wednesday Hodgepodge link-up. You can find it HERE.







1. How did you meet your significant other? If you don't have a significant other, tell us how you met your best friend. 

My husband and I met during a hurricane. He was a news photographer and I was working in a hotel on the coast. Our hotel was one of the few hotels open during the storm, so we were housing all the visiting news teams. When he passed by the gift shop, where I worked, he made a lame excuse of needing to buy something and we stood around and talked for hours. Afterwards he asked me out for a drink, to which I said "Yes, but I'm driving so I can push you out of the car if you're a weirdo." And we've been together ever since. 


2. It's Department Store Day (October 16)...do you still shop in department stores? If not do you miss that kind of shopping experience? Do you have a favorite department store? Any fun memories of department store shopping when you were a child? 

I miss shopping in classy department stores. I grew up shopping in Sears, Montgomery Wards, JC Penny's, Foleys, and Joske's.  We would go to downtown San Antonio and see Joske's decorated lavishly for Christmas. It was just like in the movies. Everything had class back then. When I was a senior in high school, I worked at Foleys in the monogramming department, where you could buy a polo shirt and have it monogrammed right then and there. I also worked in the stationary department, where people came to order wedding invitations. 


3. Something you're currently nuts about? 

Something I'm currently nuts about has now ended...it was rewatching the series Gilmore Girls. I have finished the series now and will have to revert back to Dancing with the Stars for my lunchtime entertainment. 

4. What's your favorite nut and is there a favorite recipe where this nut is used? 

My favorite nut would have to be pecans. I was raised on pecans (hello South) and there's nothing like a homemade piece of Pecan Pie. 

5. On Wednesday we officially reach the '70 days until Christmas' mark. Have you purchased any gifts? If you don't celebrate Christmas then how about Hanukkah presents? 

I am an "after Thanksgiving" shopper for Christmas. If I shop any earlier than that, I will totally forget what I've bought. I like to savor Christmas during the actual season. Starting too early just makes you sick of it by the time it really comes around. 

6. Insert your own random thought here.  

Gee, I have so many random thoughts! Every day I think about things I would love to tell the world, but then I would sound like I'm always telling everyone what I think and who wants that?

However, recently here are some random thoughts I've had:

1. Yoga pants aren't pants. They are basically like having your body painted and thinking you have clothes on.

2. When you go to Walmart and they have 50 checkout lines, but only 2 cashiers working. Yet, you look around, as you're standing in line, and there are other employees just standing around, over by the self-checkout, and other random places, and you're wondering if they see the long lines of people waiting to be checked out by 2 cashiers. So you finally move to the self-checkout and it takes you a while because you have a basket full, and I'm wondering why I'm not getting paid to do their job, while they are being paid to stand around. Things that make you go hmmmmm. 


Well, this was fun! I'll be linking up with From This Side of The Pond for this one.

Thanks for stopping by!


Until Next Time...

Blessings! 

6 comments:

  1. I loathe self checkouts anywhere. It almost never ends up being self check either because there's always a glitch that requires help. It's been so much fun today reading how people met. Quite a few go all the way back to middle or high school. Have a nice day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Joyce! It is fun reading all the "how we met" posts! Thanks for stopping by today :)

      Delete
  2. I enjoyed reading how you and your husband met. Fun. If everyone was honest I think they'd say the whole self check thing is not what it was cracked up to be. Happy Hodgepodge to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was fun...I as of yet have not done a Wednesday Hodgepodge but thinking I might join in next week (if I don't forget). This was a neat way for you and your husband to meet. I mostly shop at Dillards..especially since our Macy's closed. You are right...some of these stores did have a lot of class and it felt good to shop at them. Things have changed so much. I wonder myself about the check out areas at Walmart. There are always employees standing around.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your comment to your hubby about driving on that first date!
    I've been doing some shopping for Christmas, I always start early and keep a note book with lists and purchases. Sometimes I still forget things!
    You are so right about check out lanes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Debbie, I loved reading your answers! I miss department stores too! I also have the same feelings about yoga pants and Walmart! LOL
    I participated in this link up as well and gave you a shout out.
    Happy Wednesday, my friend! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! Come back soon!