Monday, August 5, 2024

Sometimes You Just Need to Bake a Cake (and a 10th anniversary)

 
Hello Friends!
It's been a wild few weeks and it's not over yet ๐Ÿ˜…
My MIL is back in the hospital (since Friday morning) and that means
that we have had a busy weekend, full of hospital visits, mixed with keeping
grandkids.


Yesterday we stayed home from church so David could go visit his mom.

While he was doing that, I decided to bake a cake. 

Seems like a random thing to do, but I guess I just needed something

normal to do and I had been wanting to try making a two layer cake

with jelly in the middle...so I did.



I had a jar of Sour Cherry Spread and I thought it might pair well with

this vanilla cake.

I didn't add too much; just enough to give you a taste of sweet and tangy,

mixed with the deliciousness of the vanilla cake.

I think it added just the right amount of something.

It was delicious! I topped it off with buttercream frosting

and it was the perfect snack for the afternoon

and my three little guests that came visiting.





We had promised Ted and Alex we would keep the girls as an anniversary gift to them.

Yesterday was their 10th anniversary!





We had their wedding at our old farmhouse, back in 2014.
We turned the carport into a wedding venue,
complete with hay bales to sit on,
candles in mason jars and shortbread cookies
in brown paper sacks for the guests to take home.
It was the most simple wedding and yet,
still to this day,
one of my favorites.

Ted and Alex drove down the driveway in David's old army jeep.
Thankfully they had a car waiting just around the corner.
They wouldn't have made it to Houston if that was their get-away car. ๐Ÿ˜




A few fun facts about the wedding:

We forgot to tell our neighbors that we were having a wedding,

so as the ceremony was happening, 

our neighbor was mowing their land behind us. ๐Ÿ˜…

Also, just as the bride and groom had their wedding kiss,

our two horses put on a show and went running by as fast as they could

(just behind this picture).

You just never know what will happen at a wedding!



Ten years later and here we are ๐Ÿ˜…

We're so proud of them and the little family they've created.

๐Ÿ’

So back to yesterday,

the girls wanted to sew purses out of fabric,

so that's what we spent the afternoon doing.

I have a feeling that we will be doing more sewing projects

in the future. 

I've taught them how to use needle and thread,

but haven't put them on the machine yet.

They seem content right now just sewing by hand

and with all the excitement we've had around here lately,

I think we'll just stick to that!

๐Ÿงต

Well, I'm off to start the day.

I'm praying for God to rain down his blessings today;

whatever that may look like.


I hope you have a wonderful Monday, with a blessed week to follow.


Until Next Time...

Blessings!

12 comments:

  1. Prayers that all turns out well for your MIL. That cake looks yummy.
    What a fun wedding that would have been, and great memories. Congrats to them on 10 years and a lovely family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cheryl :) Lots of great memories and the cake was delicious!

      Delete
  2. Simple weddings are the most fun! My grandmother taught me to sew, embroider, crochet and make latch hook rugs (remember those?) I didn't keep up with any of them but those memories are so precious and vivid!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My oldest, Emmy, has a latch hook project going on now! I love passing on these fun skills to them.

      Delete
  3. I'm sorry your MIL is back in the hospital. Praying she is soon better!
    The wedding sounds perfect, with a few memorable moments! Happy Anniversary to them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mari :) Prayers are appreciated.

      Delete
  4. That sounds like such a sweet wedding...and tailor-made for the couple, which are the absolute best kinds! Even the neighbor mowing the grass:) Best anniversary wishes to the happy couple! And what cute kiddos they have!! Hope your MIL is home soon and will start to recoup and be 100 percent quickly!! Happiest Monday wishes to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jennifer :) Thank you for the well wishes. I need to catch up on your blog soon!

      Delete
  5. I'm so sorry about your mother in law; I will pray for her, and for you and David as you have to travel back and forth. What a sweet evening with your grands, in the midst of something hard. I love it when the Lord mixes the hard times in with really good times. I loved hearing about Ted's and Alex's wedding, and I loved seeing those pictures! Ted is the one with the worship songs on Spotify, right? I love listening to his music!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jennifer :) Thank you for the prayers! And yes, Ted has music on Spotify and Youtube and so does Collin. I'm so glad you like his music! He has a new song out called Shepherd, which is one of my favorites.

      Delete
  6. Aawww what sweet memories of a beautiful day. Happy anniversary to them! That cake looks and sounds SO good! I bet your little visitors sure enjoyed every bite! Blessings on your weekend ahead dear Gal. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. The cake looks really good. Such a pleasant post you've written. I hope the best for your MIL. Loved the wedding pictures and the family that came over the years since then.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! Come back soon!