Monday, June 10, 2024

"Trad Wife" vs. The Real Deal

 


Good morning friends!

Recently I've been hearing the term "Trad Wife" and after looking into it a bit more, I wanted to share some thoughts I have on this topic. 

If you aren't familiar with the new fad on social media, referred to as "Trad Wives", it's basically a new term that stands for "traditional wife", which these girls are nothing of the sort. Sorry ladies, but it's true.

These new "traditional wives" are posting videos of themselves dressed to the nines, making homemade cough drops when their babies have coughs, whipping up some homemade bubble gum on a whim, holding baby on their hip while they fix a three course meal in their heels, no less, and all while moving the camera and tripod around, to make sure they get the best shots for their social media accounts. This isn't real life.

What's so frustrating and sad about these ladies is that they have millions of young moms following them, desperate to see how other people live, and they are misleading most of them. They are only in it for the following and the money.

Young moms can't live up to the pressure of having to look like a million bucks, make homemade everything, have babies that sleep tight in their sleep sacks, trained by their sleep training gurus, in bassinets made of lace and silk. 

What ever happened to looking to the women in your own life, as the standard for which you want to aspire? 

As I was thinking about this topic, I was remembering some of the women in my own life, that I was blessed to have as examples of what a traditional wife and woman looked like. 

I remember my own mom, who was the greatest example of hard work. She is now 81 and still works a full time job! She also gave us the best Christmases. She also taught us to never leave without an "I love you." Thanks mom 💗

My step mother was the epitome of the stay-at-home mom. She taught me everything I know about homemaking, cooking, cleaning, and putting your kids first. I miss her. 

My favorite aunt fascinated me, as she had routines and was very organized. I still look to her for advice on how to run a home. She also exercised every morning, which I thought was very cool. She's still one of the most poised ladies I know. 

I remember my grandmother loving the color red and not being afraid to display that color throughout her home and life. She wore red dresses and had red bath towels. Even the interior color of her car was red. I admire a woman who proudly displays her favorites. 

Then, as I got older, God put other women in my life to admire and look up to.

There were a few ladies from church that taught me how to be a better person. One who told me that sometimes your silence speaks much louder than actual words. Such wise advice. Another who maintained grace and poise, no matter the circumstances. 

David's aunt, who could whip up a country meal in 30 minutes, when visitors show up unexpectedly, taught me about hospitality. Sadly, I do not have this trait! But I certainly admire her for it. 

There are so many more women that I admire, for the way they raised their families, their special skills, their warmth and love and so much more. These are the women who deserve to be admired and even imitated. What's funny is that they would also be the ones who were humble about having anyone look up to them, because they were just doing what they saw the women in their own lives doing and teaching.

I only hope I can inspire someone, in some way. I hope one day that there will be someone who has caught something I've taught and had it mean something in their own motherhood. Not because it was flashy or brilliant or definitely not because I look like a million bucks! But, I hope I can pass down what it looks like to be devoted to my husband and kids. What it means to love being a homemaker and making it work, no matter the income or how many times your husband has to start over. What it means to love my grand babies and spend time with them. What it means to trust God, because he has come through every single time.

If I can pass that down to a young mom, then that is all the fame I need. 


Until Next Time...

Blessings!



 



12 comments:

  1. Love your post! I totally agree and while it's great to see young women striving to be homemakers, I fear that they will end up feeling like failures when they cannot live up to the fantasy portrayed by social media. Thanks for writing this. Marie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post Deb!! You go over and above taking care of your family!! So proud of you and love you!!😘

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved reading this. My life, too, was shaped by the women in my life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't realize there was such a thing going on with social media. Yes, it is more valuable to see those in real life who are living out a traditional life. Excellent advice!

    ReplyDelete
  5. PREACH IT girl. Life is messy. Life is complicated. Life can be no fun at times. That is what they need to know - it sure isn't all white picket fences and froo-froo dresses and smiling faces. They need to see reality for what it can be. Sometimes good and sometimes bad.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful post! I couldn't agree more! I also hope to inspire others by being "the real deal".

    Grace & Peace,
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello, I’m rather annoyed by the influencer trad wife thing too. Many of the people of that generation seem to think they have invented and perfected everything 🙄

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never heard of that term! I agree with you, though, that's not real life. These poor moms today have so much that can overwhelm or discourage them. My heart goes out to them all the time!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good morning! My name is Dale, I live in Vermont and I just found you through If you do stuff by Rhonda. I just read this post, how I agree with you. I would very much like to read your blog from the beginning,do you have an archive or first date I could go to? Thanks, Dale

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have not heard of that term either... it makes me sad, too! Your memories, Deb, caused me to reflect on such women from my own life. What a blessing! I pray that the young women of today, including my own two daughters, find strength, guidance and encouragement from the women in their own lives. May I be such an example for them, too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello, my friend. Well, that term is new to me! I pray my girls see social media for what it is, namely a peek into someone's life. It isn't real life, only filtered to show what they want. I think your words are spot on and lovely. I pray my girls find inspiration from the women in my family as well!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! Come back soon!