Wednesday, June 19, 2024

Family Dinner Resumes and Some Talk of Retirement


 Happy Wednesday, Friends! I can't believe it's already the middle of the week. 

We finally resumed our family dinner last night, after taking about 3 weeks off. My oldest son was traveling on Tuesdays for a worship conference, so we had a nice break. But it felt good to have the family back over, after being sick and not seeing everyone in a while. It always feels much longer, but I think it was actually just over a week 😅 

I made an old recipe that's been around our house for years...Chicken and Ritz Casserole. We had a salad, pinto beans and apple pie with ice cream on top, in addition to the casserole. Everything was delicious.

As you can see in the picture, I also put this jar of cucumbers on the table. I may have shared this before, but this is how my mom kept cucumbers when I was growing up. She would slice them, put them in vinegar and water, add salt and pepper, and keep them in the fridge. Yum!

Our family nights are getting wilder! Asa and Calem are 2 and 1 1/2 (5 months apart) and are running and playing with toys. The girls are back and forth, down the hall and back, showing us their art work, dressing up, and chasing the boys (or running from them). It's total chaos for a few hours, but David and I love it so much. We realize how blessed we are to have our kids and grandkids so close. The minute they are gone, we can't wait to see them again. 

David and I were talking about this house and how small it is when the family is gathered. We were reminiscing about our grandparents and the houses they lived in. That generation would have never considered moving to a bigger house, as the family grew. The family would just spread out to various rooms, the porches and the yard, and the family would make do with what it had. 

Have you noticed how much emphasis is put on houses these days? People will go into massive debt to buy huge houses and then work their lives away trying to pay for that house. We've decided we will not be those people.

Our little house is big enough for cozy family gatherings and it will get some upgrades over the next few years (hopefully more family room space), but we will work to pay it off and be mortgage free before David retires. 

We've been talking about that a lot too...retirement. It's still years away, but we are talking about plans to get there and what kind of financial shape we want to be in when it's finally time. Of course, God makes the plans and we just follow along, don't we? But it doesn't hurt to have goals and a general direction, to keep you motivated.

Well, today is going to consist of a bit of housework, going to the library for a new book, and maybe hitting the Dollar Tree for a few inexpensive garden items. I've also got to make a plan for Millie Day tomorrow. I think the rain will keep us inside and I'll have 3 active little girls to keep busy. 

I hope your Wednesday is blessed and all that you hope it will be. 


Until Next Time...

Blessings! 

12 comments:

  1. Hello! Your photo is perfect. Seeing the picture of a table set and ready for a family to gather round brings so many happy memories, my friend. We are so simialr in our love of home. family, and cozy. And I love your thoughts on houses and families! I have thought the same quite often. I hope you find a good book, I am reading one I cannot put down. It is pulling at my heart so. It is called We Were the Lucky Ones. Oh my. I see it is now a miniseries on Hulu. Have a wonderful day with the girls tomorrow! And a cozy afternoon today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Billie Jo :) I love to take pictures of my table, ready for the family. I found four books at the library today! I always get extra in case I don't like one or two of them.

      Delete
  2. Now is the RIGHT time to talk about and plan for retirement. We started serious planning at 30yo with financial decisions focused on debt-free by age 50 and we made it at 49.5. I decided I was done working at age 58 (now 63). Hub will retire no later than 18months from now. All that $ that went to debt went straight to IRAs, Roths, and emergency fund. Financial life is low-stress. We're in the home we bought in 1991 and we're going nowhere. If it's too small for others, they can stay away. If they need granite they won't find it here. Our home serves us, we do not serve it!

    Cheers :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elle, I agree, it's the right time to get with it! Debt free is the way to go into retirement, for sure.

      Delete
  3. I loved this post, and reading that you resumed the family dinner once again. I know you missed having them all over! I agree about what you said about the homes these days; we feel the same way and have a modest sized home (2,300 heated square feet). It was plenty sufficient when the boys were little, even in spite of having extras over all the time. I wouldn't have changed a thing, honestly! I think that's part of the reason why we're all such a close knit family, between that and homeschooling. I'm so grateful for the years God gave us to do that! It's exciting to dream of home improvements and retirement!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jennifer, I'm sure those boys filled that 2300 sq. feet pretty fast :) I absolutely agree that homeschooling makes for a close family. I wouldn't trade it for anything.

      Delete
  4. I enjoyed reading this! It is full of great ideas, wisdom from the old days, and encouragement. God bless you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mrs. White :) I think we need to go back to some of the wisdom from the old days :)

      Delete
  5. Yes, a smaller house is just cozy and easier to pay off. You are wise to start planning ahead. It gets here much quicker than anticipated. Being debt free in retirement is just bliss!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheryl, we keep hearing that being debt free is a must, for retirement. We agree.

      Delete
  6. How wonderful to have family nearby.. my daughter and her family live 5 hours away and we see them for a long weekend here or there about once a month. My blogging partner, Laurie, and her husband are blessed to have both their kids and their families within 5 miles of her home. She watches her Littles (her grandkids) every Thursday and then her kids arrive after work/appointments for a family dinner! What I wouldn't give for that! You reminded me of when my mom made cucumbers using that same recipe... guess what I'll be making this weekend? YUM! And I couldn't agree more about the allure of a smaller home. My husband, a retired architect, and I have always embraced the "not so big house" approach where quality over quantity of space is celebrated! Such a fun post! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Laura :) I know what you are feeling with your kids being so far away. When I got married, I moved and left my entire family 5 hours behind and it's hard not seeing them more often. So I don't take for granted having my kids and grandkids here. It's such a blessing and I love it. And I hope your cucumbers turn out to be yummy! :)

      Delete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! Come back soon!