Wednesday, February 14, 2024

Happy Valentine's Day (and some dessert mishaps)!

 Good Morning Friends! And Happy Valentine's Day 💗

I can't believe it's already Wednesday! This week is flying by. 



Last night we had our weekly family dinner and I set the table with fancy plastic plates and had the kid's gifts set out, ready for them to see as they walked through the door. 

I filled the girl's baskets with the hearts I made last week and some treats, such as candy hearts, cookies, silly string, crayons and a pink calculator from Dollar Tree. The boys got Gold Fish, cookies, chocolate hearts (for their parents to eat), Cheerios and a toy truck. It's always so much fun to see the kid's faces light up at a basket full of goodies. 

For dinner we had tamales, chili, corn dip, and fritos. The weather had turned cold again this week, so the chili worked out nicely. 


 My daughter-in-love, Alex, made this beautiful cookie cake. It tasted as good as it looked 💗😋

Morgan and I both had mishaps with our desserts. I planned on making a cherry dump cake, which I have made so many times before. But I made the mistake of only having one can of cherry pie filling on hand and once I poured the cake mix on top, I knew it wasn't going to go right. So I mixed the butter, cake mix and one can of cherry pie filling all together and baked it. It came out like a fluffy cherry cake. It wasn't bad (in fact, David loved it), but it wasn't quite what I had planned. 

Poor Morgan had baked cupcakes for the night, but when she put them on her table so she wouldn't forget them when time to go, little Asa reached for them and down they went...all over the floor. I felt so bad for her. But, it truly is the thought that counts. I know that didn't make her feel better, but I appreciated her effort. 

That reminds me of a time, many years ago, when I made the famous "Chocolate Delight" as we called it. It probably has many names and can be found in all the church cookbooks, but it's the layered dessert that has the butter and pecan crust, layered with chocolate pudding and cool whip all the way to the top of the baking dish. It's one of my favorites. 

Well, I made one for our family (no special occasion) and we had it for dessert after a meal, then I put it in the fridge for the night. When I woke up the next morning and walked into the kitchen, there was the entire dessert sitting on the counter. Apparently David had snuck into the kitchen after I went to bed, and had more dessert, but forgot to put it back in the fridge. As you can imagine, you can't leave pudding and cool whip on the counter all night, so in the trash it went. Needless to say, that one took me a while to get over. 

So, we've all been there 😉

Today will be a catch up day. Washing towels, mopping, getting the playroom back in order. I also have a few errands to run and then hopefully catching up on The Bachelor when I get home. Yes, I watch the Bachelor. Have since Collin was a baby and he's about to turn 25!!

I'm still doing the online Bible study called Growing Slow. It's probably one of the best ones I've done. I'm  really enjoying it and enjoying the small community of women who are on the thread with me. In fact, I have a chapter to read this morning, so I better get going.

I hope you all have a wonderful day and I will check in soon.

Until Next Time...
Blessings!




5 comments:

  1. Wow that cookie/cake looks fantastic!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a fun evening. The cookie is so pretty! You dump cake - I saw a recipe using exactly what you used for the crockpot the other day. They said it came out more cake like as well.
    Oh mishaps do happen. Make for fun stories!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A few years into retirement, my dad took a liking to baking. Totally new for him but he was really enjoying it and was rather good, truth be told. One afternoon, his brother and sister were coming into town for the weekend and he decided to make a pie from scratch. Crust and all. It was a labor of love, to be sure. He baked it on a cookie sheet (to catch drips)...a flat sheet with no edges. Just as they arrived, it was ready. He pulled it from the oven and, apparently, turned a bit too quickly to show/present it to them....and swoosh it slid right off the cookie sheet onto the floor. Spilled everywhere. It was so very sad at the time but has made for a great family story since then!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the little kid valentines too - but my college freshman son told me that maybe it was time to stop sending them to him! ;) That cookie cake looks amazing - better than the ones at my fancy supermarket!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aww on the cupcakes...but that cookie sure looks good, smiles. Wishing you a lovely weekend.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! Come back soon!