Friday, February 9, 2024

A Sweet Valentine Craft Project

Happy Friday friends!

 How has your week been? It's been slow and steady over here and it's felt nice to have some time to just be home and work on the house and a special craft project. 

I've cooked some yummy food this week: lasagna, brisket and potatoes, Mexican cornbread and beans, and made David his lunches of ham sandwiches, chips and snacks. One day I did go out for the BOGO pizza deal at Schlotzsky's. Otherwise, I've been content to eat my own food and leftovers for the week, which felt good. 

I've also been busy with a special craft project I wanted to make for the girls. I saw my friend Patty do this on her latest Lemons and Larkspur video, so I thought I would give it a try. Since Valentine's Day is next week, I thought it would be fun to add these to whatever little treats I buy for them. 

I dug through my two baskets of fabric pieces and found some colors to put together. I do all of my sewing at the kitchen table, so first I had to move everything from my office to the dining room.

This is my rolling, sewing cart. It stores nicely in a corner of my office, out of the way and when I need to haul everything into the dining room to sew, it is perfect for moving it all at once.


I started by making a heart stencil from a piece of cardboard backing on a pack of paper I had. I traced a heart onto the cardboard and then used that to trace onto the fabric. 

Next, I found some colors that would look good in contrast, and cut the strips to go across the front of the heart. (Again, Patty shows this in her video.)

I sewed the hearts all the way, but leaving enough open to fill with stuffing, later on. Once the hearts were sewn, I turned them right side out and used fabric glue to put the strips on the front. 

I probably should have sewn the strips onto the front side, before sewing the hearts together, but I didn't think about it, so I had to do the next best thing...use glue. 




Here's the finished product 💗 I used a stamp to put their names on each one and then added the buttons just for fun.


On the back, I cut a smaller piece of fabric and wrote my name. I sat and watched tv while sewing these tags on the back. I needed a little break from the kitchen table 😅

I haven't done any significant sewing for many years and this was actually a lot of fun. I used to sew when the boys were little, but as they got older, the sewing machine went into the closet and rarely came out.

But, back to the hearts...
I made a little trip up to the Dollar Tree and bought a few goodies for the girls and the baby boys and came back home to put together their Valentine treats. Next week, when we have family dinner, I'll have a sweet surprise for the kids, as they come in the door. I hope the girls keep their hearts for years to come and they know that their Millie had a lot of fun making them. Next I will have to make something for the baby boys. I suspect that will require a tutorial of some sort. I mean, how do you make a truck out of fabric? Hmmm...I see a challenge ahead of me 😅

Today I'm taking a quick road trip with David, as he goes about an hour up the road for work. It will be nice to get out and go for a ride. We have Addie's birthday party tomorrow and church on Sunday. More rain is scheduled for the weekend, but that's ok. Well, all except for the fact that we have places to go.

It's been a slow week and it's felt great to be at home, accomplishing things on the list (except for the taxes, which were a great disappointment). Right now my life seems to be in a rhythm of a slow week then a busy week, slow week, busy week.  I'm not hating it, actually! The slow week is giving me fuel for the busy weeks and it's a great give and take. 

There is so much more I want to share and I hope to do that soon. I've been doing a wonderful Bible Study and gleaning so many good things from it. My plan is to write about that soon. But for now, it's time for
a 2nd cup of coffee and getting ready for the day ahead.

I hope you all have a wonderful weekend and I plan on catching up on everyone's latest posts this morning.

I'm so thankful for all of you!

Until Next Time...
Blessings!

5 comments:

  1. Isn't it nice to sit and sew! It is so relaxing. Your hearts look so sweet. God bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a cute craft...I love all the fun ways you enjoy Valentine's Day! Makes me miss having little ones around. I also enjoy Patti's channel but haven't checked it out in a bit - thanks for the reminder:) I also have a sewing machine that I haven't used in a bit. Hmmm. Maybe I will pull that out this afternoon. Have a wonderful weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice job on the hearts. They look great! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Super cute hearts - I like that. May change that up a bit for Christmas idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. They are beautiful! I absolutely love them. How happy you will make some little ones!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! Come back soon!