Friday, July 28, 2023

A Harsh Reality - Kids and Mental Wellness

 


(This is a harsh post, but one that's been weighing on my heart lately.)

Believe it or not, public schools are gearing up to start in a few weeks, at least in Texas. So David and I have been talking about this topic and there are some things that just grieve my heart, when it comes to kids these days.

The first being that the kids barely get a summer break anymore. When we were kids, the summer break consisted of 3 solid months of downtime. June, July and August were the summer months and school didn't start until after Labor Day. 

I know this is an age-old topic, but it's one to seriously consider as a fail, when you look at the state of kids and parents these days.

Never before, has "mental wellness" been such a hot topic. You hear of it everyday on every platform. But does it ever occur to anyone to ask why so many are focused on mental wellness? Kids and adults, alike, are running themselves ragged every single day!

It's such a way of life now, to have kids busy every moment and parents who work non-stop. 

When we were in school, we had time to breathe and just be kids. We went to school, came home, had time to do homework, play outside, eat dinner with the family and get a good night's sleep.

Kids these days have no chance of downtime. And frankly, neither do the parents. 

It's almost as if the status of the parents depends solely on how busy the kids are or how successful the kids are at extra-curricular activities. 

Kids don't know how to handle boredom anymore. They require constant stimulation and constant entertainment. And quite frankly, the parents don't know what to do with a bored child!

So the alternative is to keep kids entertained and busy at every moment, so no one has to be inconvenienced with a whiny child or parental involvement beyond just driving to the next event. 

I recently learned that our small town is going to have a 4 day school week this year. Which would sound nice, if it meant kids would get an extra day at home. But the reality is, if you're a working parent, is your workweek going to be 4 days also? Most likely it won't, which means you will now be forced to hire someone to look after your child or put your child in a daycare situation for that extra day. How is this helping? It's just one more situation that isn't best for the child!

I can't help but look around and notice that nothing points to the good of the family anymore. Even in church, families are constantly expected to do more, be involved more, give more, serve more, and yet, even Christian families are falling apart. 

When will we get off the crazy train?

The fragmentation of families should be a wake-up call, but it seems like no one is paying attention. 

And we wonder why mental wellness has become more important than anything? Because people are destroying their own lives, day by day, and desperately trying to help themselves, but it will never work until they slow down and seek a slower pace - for themselves and their poor children.

If you want to save the children, you first have to recognize your own part in destroying them. 

Only then can we truly restore the family and mental wellness. 


Until Next Time...

Blessings!



18 comments:

  1. School started here this week. All year school. I hate it. I agree with you so much on this. Many of my family are starting to home school to get away from all the craziness of the schools and programs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great to hear Cheryl! I love the freedom of homeschooling.

      Delete
  2. My husband and I were talking about this earlier today, and I so agree with you. Everyone is constantly on the go, and there is no slowing down to take time to just be together for a meal or to play games together. I get sad (and angry) when we go into a restaurant and see parents giving their kids an electronic device to play with, and the parents are on their phones not even talking to one another or paying any attention to their kids. Wanita

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Wanita! We have lost ourselves in our phones and are losing connections as well. Even over the dinner table.

      Delete
  3. Debbie, I agree. This world conveys a strong message of "needing more". A society that judges you by the shoes you wear or the perfection of your face, then who are we as individuals? Our system divides us with the second question on every form. I get offended when government forms ask me what race I am, how I identify. I always tell them I am an American. I am every country, every ethnic background, every culture, every belief, that is what an American is. We are a pot of stew filled with all things stirred up and simmered together. I am proud of all races and cultures of all Americans. I pray for our government to be renewed with a new faith in it's own people, where people aren't divided, where all Americans are one people, one pot of stew. ~jackiesee~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jackie :) I get so offended at those dumb questions too. Who cares? It's the government that continually tries to keep us all offended and separated. The journalists too! And yes, America has become the place where more is better, but we are destroying ourselves trying to get there.

      Delete
  4. As a former educator, what upset me the most is that these children get no time to socialize in school. They want them to eat lunch in silence and most get NO recess. None. How are they to make friends and learn to have conversations and just have fun expending a little energy? Those small things are fun memories I have of elementary school. Instruction is geared toward passing a state test at the end of the year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mandy, this is so ironic and heartbreaking. As a homeschool mom, I can't tell you how many times I heard the question of socialization. Yet, here these poor little kids sit, with friends all around, and yet can't speak. Sounds like communism to me. The public school system is a failure. Not the teachers, but the system. I'm sorry for all you probably wanted to do, but couldn't. It's really sad.

      Delete
    2. I have to say, my kids were in elementary school in NYC and in NJ and in both places they had both recess and unstructured phys ed, plus lunch to socialize. But I agree that kids are far too scheduled and parents far too busy!

      Delete
  5. Crazy train is right but sadly I don’t see it ending. All the young families I know live busy busy busy all the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too Rhonda. I watch these families go and go and their poor kids just get drug from one place to another.

      Delete
  6. My friend, I could not agree with you more. I am always saddened when I think of the children who will not know the joys of a simple, stress free childhood. So chaotic and stressful were the demands of the private school my older children attended, we actually removed them and begun homeschooling. That was the very best decision we ever made. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Billie Jo, I agree! And while I realize not everyone can homeschool their kids, the very least they could do is not involve them in so many after school activities that they literally spend one hour (maybe) before sending the kids off to bed. This is not healthy and will not foster security in kids or relationships.

      Delete
  7. 100% spot on with this post. I have added you to my favorites, nice to meet you. smiles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Linda! Nice to meet you too :)

      Delete
  8. Sadly, this is all very true. We recognized this when our sons were little, and it was detrimental in leading us to become a homeschooling family. I wish everyone could do that, but I know it's not for everyone and some moms have to work outside the home. I always encourage people to try it, if they feel at all pulled to do so, as daunting as it seems. I had so many people help me along in our journey, I try to pay it forward to others, even today. My niece is thinking about homeschooling her daughters next school year, and like I always say to people considering it, parents make the best educators, especially for their own children!

    But you are right and I agree with everything you said in this post. I saw so much of this while I worked in a local elementary school this year; it was a wonderful school, but there were still issues with it and with the students having iPads to work on and take home. Technology can be wonderful, but it's my belief that at such a young age, it's harmful. Also, have you noticed how all the smart things have made us dumb? Google has all the answers, so we don't even have to use our own brains these days! 🤣 I laugh and joke, but I'm serious, and it's becoming very problematic. There are a million reasons why I am so ready for Jesus to come back!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jennifer, I agree! We don't even have to spell anymore :) Just click a button and the right spelling will appear. We are so "smart" we're dumb! Kids will not know how to look up anything in a dictionary or do research with actual books. And the bad thing is that we can't trust the internet, so the information is convoluted, at best. We have really outsmarted ourselves.

      Delete
  9. I couldn't agree more! I am constantly saying "kids just need to be kids" or "kids don't know how to be kids, these days!". It is even evident with my own grandblessings! It pains me to my very core! I also witnessed, what I call, the dumbing down of our kids last year when I taught a class at our local school. It is just sad...wrong and sad!

    Grace & Peace,
    Pam

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! Come back soon!