Wednesday, August 2, 2023

It's Good to Challenge Yourself - Going Back to Some Old Ways

 


This week I challenged myself to only spend $50 at the grocery store. And you know what? It was fun!

Many years ago, when David and I had our first baby, bought our first house, and were quite literally living from paycheck to paycheck, we only had a small amount of money to spend after all the bills were paid and diapers and formula were bought. It was tight!

I would go down the aisles of the grocery store and buy just enough to make a few meals for the week and as I crossed off the items on my list, I would write the price next to each item, to make sure I was staying within my budget.

As the years went by and our income increased, it was such freedom to walk the aisles and not have to worry about staying under a certain amount.

But, as we all know, these days are different. 

And this week I challenged myself to only spend $50 and it was actually fun to search for the items on my list and even make better choices as I tried to fit all the prices into my small budget. 

Now, being completely honest, I had just done a big trip last week and still have plenty of food on hand that hasn't been used yet, so this week's challenge was not too hard. But it reminded me of how good a challenge can be for our minds and our wallet.

Many years ago, a friend said "you spend what you make" and it has proved itself to be true, over and over again, as we've increased our income. I'll admit, it's nice to have money to spend and not have to worry over every little purchase.

But the mindset of always having plenty and never having to challenge yourself to do better or spend more wisely, can be a wasteful mindset to have. 

When we don't have to challenge ourselves to stay within certain boundaries, we get careless and probably even wasteful. We don't compare prices and we buy with the idea that it's ok if you end up not liking it. 

When money is not a worry, you aren't the best steward. 

But when money has a limit, we choose more wisely and waste much less. This is being a much better steward of our resources.

So this week, as I walked the aisle with my very small list and wrote the price of each purchase on the list, carefully keeping track of the total, it felt good to have those boundaries in place and to challenge my mind to stick to the plan.

I'm kind of excited about doing this every week and seeing how low I can keep my grocery budget. Not because I have to, but because it's good to use up what we have and get creative.

Let me know if you like to challenge yourself in this area or how you keep your grocery bill low. I'm always open to new ideas.


Until Next Time...

Blessings! 


15 comments:

  1. That is a good idea and it would sure benefit many! Many are just not accountable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheryl, I've been there! I enjoy grocery shopping and it's just so fun to walk the aisles and not worry about the cost :) But those days are over :)

      Delete
  2. This was a great post, as all of yours are! I love what you said about when money isn't a worry, we aren't the best stewards. We were the same when our boys were young, and I also used to have my list and write prices next to each item. I didn't like it at the time, but I remember thinking how grateful I was to have money for groceries. I have the mindset today of only buying what we need for the week. When our sons were little, we always had to buy things in bulk, so it's taken time to break that habit. Now that everyone is grown, it's easier to shop, since we're not all together as much. I would say they're here for two meals each week, maybe three at the most. They do their own thing most nights, even if that means making something for their own dinner. A lot of times they don't love what I make for Todd and myself. I love grocery inspiration posts! Thanks for sharing today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jennifer, thank you! That must be a challenge to still have kids at home some nights, but not others. It would definitely be a challenge to know what to fix or how much and not feel like it was going to waste. Thankfully they are old enough to fend for themselves if they have to.

      Delete
  3. This is so true, Debbie! We gained a lot of freedom when we became debt free (through lots of saving and hard work), and when my husband took a second job, I was not so good about budgeting like I once was. It was nice not having to worry as much about how our purchases would impact our account, but honestly, my lack of stewardship left me a little disappointed in myself. I missed the simplicity of our life with less and the contentment that came with it. This year I have determined to do better and I'm basing our budget off of my husband's main income and pretending the other doesn't exist, which will allow us to reach some of our other goals. Blogging is helping me stay accountable and exercise my thrifty muscles so I don't forget how to use them, and I'm hoping it helps others, too. With the risings costs of everything, I think we can all benefit from being more careful with our spending. My grocery series was inspired by seeing just how low I could get our spending in that area by making substitutions. Oh, and I adjusted the font size ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kelsey, thank you for using your blog to inspire all of us! And for being honest in this comment. I have certainly felt the guilt of not saving enough when the abundance was there. And thank you for adjusting the font! :) My eyes thank you :)

      Delete
  4. You just know I am going to agree with this post don't you. It's always good to challenge yourself, and to make good use of our money in these super expensive times especially, just makes sense.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes :) you know a good challenge, don't you? :) That's why it's good to surround myself with like minded women who can inspire me!

      Delete
  5. That is so true! I see it every time my husband gets a raise or I make a little bit on the side. It takes every penny! No matter how hard I try, we just can't stay within a budget! Groceries go up with each visit to the store! I think I will try your "old ways" method of writing down prices with each list. If nothing else I will have proof of how much the cost of things have increased, to show my husband! LoL

    Grace & Peace,
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Debbie, I am a few days behind on visiting---watching my granddaughter has kept me otherwise engaged! I love this challenge! I agree with you so much---when I left my career after having my first baby in 1990, our budget was tight, and I HAD to be frugal. Due to a bad decision in 2003, our finances are still not the greatest, but we do have more money than we had then (plus, we now are empty nesters), and it's so easy to just not be very thrifty. I like your idea of challenging oneself. A challenge I recently gave myself is as much as possible, I am going to "do life" in an 8 sq. mile area. That will exclude church, and even my chiropractor is about 1/2 mile out of that, but I am challenging myself to do everything I need to do (except get together at a friend's house) within 8 square miles (1 picked the major avenues which are about a mile apart). I think challenging ourselves to live a less affluent life is good!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Debbie. How very timely! After going through the pantry, fridge and freezers late last month, and with grocery prices on the rise again, I decided August will be a "shop at home first" month, limiting purchases only to fresh essentials or things we run out of, which should be minimal.
    --Elise

    ReplyDelete
  8. $50, that's amazing. Grocery prices are so high, making it work with only $50 is a real challenge, good for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am having a no spend August and only buying perishables from the market. Using what is in my pantry first will be a fun challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh boy - I mentioned to my husband (after reading this post) that we should be more intentional (as better stewards) with our grocery spending and we should try the challenge. He was all for it. Not sure what I signed myself up for?? :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. There is SO much truth in what you've written. Grocery prices are out of control. Something's got to give, and I think that's me giving extra effort! Be blessed, Laura of Harvest Lane Cottage

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! Come back soon!