Tuesday, August 15, 2023

I've Been in a Creative Funk

 



Do weeks ever go by where you feel like you're in a daze or a funk and all the things that usually excite you, just don't have the same appeal they normally do? Every now and then this will happen and I find myself just kind of moving on autopilot, doing things, but not creating things, and I don't enjoy it. 

The good thing is, the funk always passes and all of a sudden I wake up one day and feel creative again and feel like decorating, writing, living a little more and doing something new. 

I guess you could call it a creative funk.

So recently, when I got excited over some thoughts about decorating, I realized all would be right with my world and my creative self would survive. I'm blaming it on the heat.

Our poor yard is brown and crispy, the weeds are creeping into the flower beds and neither of us feel like going outside in the evenings because it's still in the high 90's at 8:00 p.m. 

But last night I did go out and I watered all the plants, washed down the porch and even rinsed my car, and thankfully there was a very warm breeze blowing, so it wasn't as bad as I had imagined. 

I don't like being cooped up inside, but the heat has been unbearable. 

I'm ready to see the leaves falling when I look out the window. 

I'm ready to grab a sweater on my way out the door.

I'm ready to curl up with a warm blanket to read a book or watch tv.

I'm ready for that first cool day when I open the door and instead of a hot blast of wet air hitting me in the face, I'm greeted with a cool, crisp morning of hope and excitement. 

Yes, I'm ready for Fall. 

I'm ready to be chilly. 

I'm ready to play outside with the kids and eat dinner on the back porch.

These are the things that make you feel alive. Not this oppressive heat.

But, at least my creative funk has lifted...for now. 

I'd better start creating while inspiration has come to visit. 

It may soon vanish again, like the freon in my car has done this summer.



Until Next Time...

Blessings!


10 comments:

  1. Oh I for sure get in those funks. Just kind of snapped out of one yesterday. I blame the weather!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Cheryl! I'm glad you snapped out of it!

      Delete
  2. Good to hear you've got those creative juices flowing again!! How about this heat? It's sure not fun to be outside very long. My grass is crispy too and if I'm out for any length of time I'm crispy. lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think you are the only one, lots of folk I follow on YouTube in the US are talking about doing Fall decorations and relaxing into the Autumn months, I think there a lot of people wanting to lose the heat. Here in the North of England we just want the rain to stop, I don't care if it's hot or cold, I just want dry. (Well not TOO hot ... I'm a cool sort of girl.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Debbie I'm with you. I want it to be Fall so bad!! And it's killing me because I can't decorate. All my Fall decor is at the bottom of the storage unit on the balcony. Every family member that could help me is involved in their own crisis! With the upcoming surgery I can't lift anything heavy for a while and who knows if I will be seeing crosseyed!! haha OK my rant is over. I know before September is over I will have my Fall decorations up. Everytime I look at my header, I think OK Fall is coming. I will get my home decorated!! Can't wait to put our my Pumpkin Tureen! All in God's good timing. I'm sure your Funk will pass and you will be showing us all your new creations, Thanks for listening! Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sure not ready for fall. Our summers are so pleasant. Summer here is like one long spring!!
    Hope your funk passes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with you about the heat. I love summer, but this extreme heat is getting to me in very unpleasant ways. All I want to do is take photos but it's too hot to be outside and feel creative. I try, try, try to stay positive by counting my blessings, etc, but I, too, am ready for some cooler weather. Linda imagesisee.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, I cannot say that I am ready for fall (fall brings winter...ugh!) but I do get into a funk. Or go on auto-pilot...but not in a fun way. And getting outside usually really helps! I have been forcing myself outside more lately and I can truly tell a difference. Here's to creative juices flowing again soon:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hear you...although here in central Florida, we don't get the northern fall weather, we do however, get the less humidity which is really nice. Have a beautiful day friend.

    ReplyDelete
  9. 100% with you on the ready for fall front. We took a beach vacation last weekend, something we typically don't do this time of year because we live in the southwest Middle Georgia area where it is HOT and Florida is even hotter, but we needed a break badly. Golden rod was blooming in the dunes below our condo and I felt my heart just swell up thinking, Autumn is coming! In the meantime, we're pushing 98 or so daily and getting feels like temps of over 108. A neurologist I follow on Instagram did an interview with someone the other day and said that days of intense heat actually depletes the brain of certain chemicals. And I can safely say it's true in my case! I feel the slump badly along about August each year and I feel complete revival when we have a proper cooling down spell.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! Come back soon!